Backflow & Commercial Irrigation Meter
Backflow Preventer Requirements - City of Apple Valley
- Backflow preventers are regulated by Minnesota Plumbing Code Section 4714.0603.
- The installation, removal, or replacement of any backflow prevention device requires a permit. The following information must be provided to the City of Apple valley Inspections Department when installing, removing or replacing a backflow preventer.
- Model Number
- Serial Number
- Name and License of Installer/Tester
- Testable backflow prevention devices shall be tested annually. More frequent testing may be required. Individuals testing/maintaining backflow prevention assemblies must be certified in addition to being licensed or registered by the DLI.
A resident homeowner may install a backflow preventer, but must have the required annual testing done by an ASSE certified tester (this includes the test required after initial installation).
- During a test, if it is determined an overhaul of the device is needed, the overhaul must be performed by a licensed, ASSE certified plumber. A plumbing permit is not required for the annual testing or an overhaul of a backflow preventer.
- You can provide your own test result form or use the City of Apple Valley Backflow Test Form.
- Results must be submitted to the City of Apple Valley Inspections Department for the testing and/or overhauling of all testable backflow prevention devices. Backflow test/maintenance reports can be sent by Mail to the attention of Building Inspections. Reports may also be submitted via fax (952-953-2515) or email.
Commercial Irrigation Meter Installation Guidelines
Water meters installed for lawn irrigation and sprinkler systems shall be installed in parallel. Irrigation meters installed as a deduct meter are not permitted. Contact Public Works at 952-953-2400 for more information.
Installation of irrigation meters in parallel allows for the independent reading of each meter, eliminates the need to calculate water use utilizing both the irrigation and domestic meter, and maintains consistency with established installation processes.
See Related Documents for Additional Information and Diagrams