News Flash Home
The original item was published from 8/12/2016 1:17:49 PM to 8/22/2016 12:00:04 AM.

News Flash

Code Enforcement

Posted on: August 15, 2016

[ARCHIVED] Temporary Sign Requirements!

Temporary signs cannot be located in right of way area between the back of a curb and private property, typically 13 feet or more from the back of the curb.

Temporary signs, other than open house signs located outside downtown areas, cannot be located in right of way areas, typically 13 feet or more from the back of the curb. Open house signs may be located within a 6 block radius of the house being shown, should remain 5 feet from
all curbs, and are allowed only during hours of the open house.

Temporary signs can be a major distraction to motorists and a sight-line interference when placed near intersections. Unlawful signs in right of way areas are subject to immediate removal by city staff regardless of size, type, subject of message, or location in the right of way. We encourage signage compliance and awareness among residents, business owners/managers, and property owners.

Temporary signs include but are not limited to: political & campaign signs, commercial banners, sandwich boards, stake signs, garage sale, for sale, for rent, open house, and “lost pet” signs. These signs are immediately removed when found to be located in the right of way, 13 feet or more back from the curb. Please follow the line for requirements specific to campaign sign requirements. Campaign signs may not be larger than 32 square feet and must be taken down 10 days following the application election.

Temporary commercial and promotional signage of any type not in the right of way must receive a permit from the Community Development Department. When properly displayed temporary signs are allowed for no more than 30 days out of the calendar year. City staff monitors temporary signs through our no-fee “Special Promotions Sign” permitting process. Signs posted prior to obtaining a permit are not allowed.

For more information about obtaining a “Special Promotions Sign” permit or permitting requirements, please contact Joan Murphy in the Community Development Department; 952.953.2574. Concerns about non-compliant signage can be reported to Apple Valley Code Enforcement at 952.953.2570; or by email at

Additional Info...
Facebook Twitter Email